"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It's Not So Easy Being Not-So-Green

I am not sure if it is with pride or embarrassment that I admit the fact that we are not a "green" people, per se. I honestly don't know what I believe... or what I should believe. I simply feel nothing one way or another. We used to collect cans when I was little, but that was pretty much the extent of it. I really don't think much about it.

Then Ryley comes home from school more animated than I've seen her in months, all because of a very special Earth Day assembly in the gym! Non-stop chatter fills the car, along with thrilling stories and ideas of how each and every person can be involved in saving the earth. There was even Earth Day homework, and we had to pick from a list of things we could do to save the earth this very night and then write about it. Being the multi-tasker that I am, I encouraged Ryley to pick "walking somewhere instead of taking the car" so we could get our exercise in, too. Maybe not the best idea.... As I stumbled home from Little Caesars with a rambunctious dog on her leash, a skipping little girl at my side, and a pizza in my hand, I said to Ryley, "Wow, driving would have been much easier than this, wouldn't it have been?" "Yes," she replied. "But we're conserving!"

Ryley shared with me that she would really like us to start recycling, too. There's certainly nothing wrong with recycling, being frugal, or with adjusting our lifestyle so as not to be wasteful. But the term "green" is different. It's overboard. It evokes a level of passion that makes me feel guilty for just living my life the way I normally live it. When people take their greenness to extremes and become obsessed with "saving the earth," I think they sometimes start losing sight of the greater battle (and maybe were never really aware of it to begin with)...the one that Christ died for. People's hearts. God's more concerned with people than with the state of the earth.

Enough Earth Day chatter. I'm probably alienating most of my audience! Again, I'm not "anti-earth." I just think that as a society we have bigger fish to fry.

Today was also Administrative Professionals Day. But since my workplace tends to not do things the way other offices do, my co-worker Leahh and I celebrated of our own volition, buying tortilla chips, queso, and salsa to share between us. We appreciate each other tremendously. :-)

And here's a little personal/work issue I am still trying to wrap my head around: Ryan's brother Derrick moved back to Florida last September very suddenly. And for the last seven months, since the day Ryan gave him a ride to the airport, none of us have heard a thing from him. He doesn't have a phone, he hardly checks his e-mail, and to be perfectly honest, we have all been very concerned about him. We've just been praying for him, trusting that God has him in His hands.

Enter interesting development of the week:

This past weekend, we were online when, out of the blue, we received a Yahoo Messenger chat message from Derrick. Ryan started chatting with him, asking him how he was, etc. Derrick started explaining his new job...that he works for a company that helps insurance companies connect their customers with preferred roofing contractors. It turns out that this is the same company for which I completed training in Houston last October and through which I have been extremely involved for the last six months!!! Derrick has been working there for only a couple of weeks, however, his best friend and roommate is an executive within the company (son of the founder), as is his friend's girlfriend. When he named them, I knew both of them immediately; I e-mail the girl back and forth at least once a week regarding various issues! In fact, both of them were there in the room with Derrick as he was chatting with Ryan, and we were making this very unreal, odd connection across the miles.

This entire time, as we've prayed for Derrick's safety, etc., he was literally within my career's social circle. God definitely has a sense of humor; I felt like He was saying, "See? I had him in My hand the entire time. There was no need to worry." It's still hard for me to believe, though. :-) These people that I would e-mail back and forth throughout my workday, would, unbeknownst to me, leave the office to go hang out with my brother-in-law at night.

Not really a small world....Just a world where God knows what He's doing. :-)

5 comments:

Sherry said...

Amen, sister, to the green stuff...though I do drive a GREEN Jeep to and from work, one block from home (for good reasons—I need it!) Balance. That's what we need on the green issue, and out here on the Left Coast balance is basically unobtainable. But I keep trying.

Gwen said...

I also received a yahoo chat message from Derrick! It was so awesome to hear from him. Glad you did too :) That is so AWESOME! about him connected in your career circle. I am so in awe of God's provision!

Gwen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

that's awesome about Derrick. God definitely does have a sense of humor.

On greenness, i get very frustrated with the green people - not because i think we should abuse the earth, but because there are a lot of conclusions about how to be nice to the earth that have no scientific basis, and i get very frustrated with the untruths being advertised, that seem to have some weird political manipulation behind them. (feel free to correct my punctuation, etc., i was venting and therefore no responsible for proper English.) =)

Justinand said...

Loved the pics you sent of Juliet's haircut!! Thanks! PS--I just tagged you on my blog--check it out!