"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ryley Stories

Ryley has been sick with a fever off and on since Sunday afternoon. She came down with it when she was staying with my wonderful aunt and uncle while Mommy and Daddy were off frolicking at the Denver Broncos game (more on that another time!).

So, because of the fever, we had Ryley stay home from school for the last two days. Ryan and I adjusted our schedules so that he was home in the morning, and I was home in the afternoon. And when Mommy has to leave work to come home to a sick little girl, it's...nap-time! That's all there is to it. We don't stay home from school/work and then not rest.

However, even at her sickest, Ryley is just not a napper. She never has been. I gave up when she was three years old because I just hated fighting with her over it. Some kids aren't nappers, and I came to terms with that.

Yesterday, she felt sick enough that cuddling with me in our bed put her out with only 15 minutes of struggle, and she ended up napping for three hours.

But today! Today. She would not have it. We lay there in my bed for an hour while she threw fits and whined, and I had to answer three calls from work, and it just wasn't happening. I dozed off at least twice, to which Ryley got frustrated and said,

"Mommy, falling asleep is just not my talent! It's your talent, but it's not mine."

After an hour, she finally fell asleep and proceeded to nap for two hours. Yay!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight we decided to run to Target to get some fresh air. Ryley likes activity, and I think two days in the house was causing her to go a little stir-crazy.

As we drove, she sang songs, and she seemed happy and back to normal.

"Are you glad to be out and about?" I asked her.

Ever so casually, Ryley replied, "Yes, it's nice to see what the rest of the world is up to." :-)

1 comment:

Gwen said...

That is hilarious!! So, mommy, what is Ryley's talent??.. PS It's ok, sleeping is my talent as well :) I guess that is what happens when we have wonderful and active children. Tell Ryley Aunt Gwen says, sleeping will be her talent some day too :)