"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Ryley Stories

1. Ryley's first grade class is studying the basics of major world religions, specifically Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. This week they are doing the segment on Christianity, and Ryley came home really excited. She said that she wanted to bring her Bible to school so that the kids who aren't Christians can see what a Bible looks like. So I let her. We stuck it in her backpack, and I sent her off to school -- not knowing what the reaction would be, but trusting God to take care of it and to honor my little girl's boldness.

This is what Ryley relayed to me when she got home:

Ryley to her teacher: "Guess what? I brought my Bible since we're talking about Christianity!"

Ryley's teacher: "Guess what? That can stay in your backpack! We aren't allowed to share books that haven't been seen by the principal."

It sounded snotty to me, but Ryley insists the teacher was super nice about it. :-) Either way, I told Ryley that I was really proud of her for wanting to bring her Bible and share it with her classmates.




2. This morning on the way to school, Ryley said, "I have a good question."

Me: "Sure. What is it?"

Ryley: "Do army people come home for Christmas?"

Me: "No, not always. There are a lot of families whose daddies are still at the war, and the mommies and kids are here alone for Christmas."

Ryley: "It's good that those daddies stay at the war so that it's not the worst Christmas ever."

Me: "What do you mean? What would be the worst Christmas ever?"

Ryley: "Like if the bad people came on Christmas.... That would be the worst Christmas ever. So it's good that those daddies stay there and protect their states."

Then she sighed, "I am so glad Daddy is too old to be in the army!"

Me: "Oh, he's not too old. He's just not in the army."

Ryley: "I'm glad."


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Chasaraben said...

Oh Ryley- what a tender heart!! Love the Bible bravery, yes I read the teacher's reply as snotty too and the soldier's story made me tear up.

Gwen said...

Not to be a fight starter, but as far as I know, Ryley has every right to bring a bible to school AND take it out of her babckpack ...even without the approval of the principal. :)