"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Intrigue (of Babies and Magazines and the Like)

It hailed tonight, and the air is ripe with the smell of rain. So I guess that puts me in a bit of a blogging mood, doesn't it? Unfortunately, there are so many thoughts filling my head that they may not come out very organized!

First of all, my brother Justin and sister-in-law Aly found out today that they're having twin ????. I will let them share their exciting news! You have no idea how stinkin' thrilled we are for them. This is God's redemption at its finest! I simply cannot wait to meet these sweet babies in the fall!

Speaking of redemption, the fifth issue of SHINE Magazine is now in print and distribution! For some reason, this was a tough edition to edit, and it took a lot out of me. But I know that it's because it's going to be a blessing to so many women. These articles are so anointed, and this issue has already received rave reviews. I was also able to write and include an article of my own this time around, so I am really excited about that! If you are interested in receiving a copy of the magazine, I have many extra, and I will happily send one to you! Just say the word. :-)

Work is getting busy again! Every day I learn something new about being a boss. I am learning to confront attitudes and missteps more quickly, and I am becoming more confident in my position. We have started a book club on Thursdays, and though the other office girls are not Christians per se, the book we are discussing is an excellent Christian book called "Commanding Your Morning." I don't dwell on or force the scriptural elements of the book; the principles are wonderful even without discussing the scriptures that support them. Even so, I have been a little nervous about leading the discussion (lest awkward conversations ensue), and I have prayed that God would give me wisdom in those moments. Last week, one of the girls had an issue with one of the scriptures, and she said so. As I searched for the words to respond, God gave me the perfect scripture (hidden in my heart long ago) that clarified the scripture she had an issue with. When I suggested and quoted that scripture, she immediately reacted positively. God brought to my remembrance the perfect words at the perfect time. It's been a long time since I've felt like that! I am thankful that God is allowing me to lead these girls in gentle pursuit of Him. And He draws all men unto Himself!

I can still be so naive, though. One morning, one of the girls was in an abnormally good mood. I knew she'd been on a date the night before, so I asked her how it went. She smiled coyly and said that it had gone wonderfully. So I teased her, "Yay! Did he kiss you?" Both of the girls kind of laughed, and she admitted that he had. I shrugged and went on with my day. Hours later, I found out that she had actually ended up spending the night at his house. How I didn't jump to that conclusion in the first place, I'll never know! My dating experience was just so different from that, and I am still extremely old-fashioned. Thank God.

In the last month, I have discovered the following about myself:

.....I love, love, love discovering good new music. Then I play those songs to death.

.....I hate jokes. Knock-knock jokes. Chicken jokes. Blonde jokes. Hate them.

.....I think the phrase "just living the dream" is funny when used ironically. Every time someone says it, I laugh. And I always picture that person as a child, dreaming wistfully about what they do today.

.....I really want my own greenhouse. I want one where the ceiling windows open up to let in the fresh air. And I want a comfy couch right smack in the middle of all the flowers and veggies where I can just lie and smell the rich soil. This greenhouse would allow for me to have a garden protected from our precious, destructive dog, along with a dual purpose of providing a place for me to get lost in my thoughts or in a good book. Also, I think I would have more control over weeds this way. I might decide to boycott gardening altogether until I can have my own greenhouse. :-)

.....I am all for bark collars. Out of desperation and fear that we may get complaints about our annoying dog (we were becoming afraid to answer knocks to our front door), we finally bit the bullet. And it has made all the difference in the world. It doesn't hurt her. She's only had to wear it four times in over a week, and she's already learned to control herself. Our quality of life has improved 79.2%.

A few weeks ago, we had the pleasure of hosting Ryan's sister Gwen and family for a last-minute visit from their home in New York. Here are some pictures of their super-fun visit:


Ryley with her cousins Kaleb, Raegan, and Nathan

Uncle Ryan and Aunt Joy took the kids to Tiny Town on a Saturday. They rode the train and explored all the little buildings.







Then we headed over to Heritage Square to do the Alpine Slide and enjoy the amusement park.











Uncle Ryan shows Nathan how to use stilts!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here are some random pics of Ryley from the last month. She likes to watch movies on the portable DVD player. Sometimes we discover her curled up somewhere random, watching "Up" and giggling.



Here's her choir concert at school. She's in the very middle.





Ryley and Daddy time each other's abilities to spin a top on the kitchen floor. Whose spin lasted the longest? Mine. :-)



Ryley and her friend Amirah enjoy the rain. April showers bring May flowers and weeds and long grass that we can never find time to cut between rain storms.



And that's all she wrote. At least for now. :-)

3 comments:

Beth said...

the word.

=)

Dawn said...

the word :) I'd LOVE a copy of the magazine!

Chasaraben said...

I hate jokes too... especially told by kids... thought I was a mom who was alone. Glad you feel the same!!