"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thoughts on Carving the Life We Want...

The house is eerily quiet this evening. Ryley is spending a week with my mom and grandma in Nebraska, and Ryan is at work. I don't really know what to do with myself. I can't remember what I used to do to fill my time in the years before the pitter-patter of Ryley-feet filled our lives. Juliet is away too, being boarded with our vet while we spent a couple of nights in Nebraska this weekend.

So it really is just me, my cup of hot chocolate, and the mother robin, spending a lovely and restful, rainy evening on the patio. Thunder is rolling gently, and the raindrops are drummming softly on the patio roof. Except for being a tad lonely, I love it! :-)



Last weekend, Ryley and I flew to Minnesota to celebrate my cousin Cora's high school graduation.





I just love Minneapolis, and I love my family, so it was all very, very good. :-)

My cousin Aaron is in the white shirt playing the bass guitar at Cora's graduation party (make sure you turn the music off at the bottom of the page before you play the video clip!).








Cora and Ryley at Cora's party...Ryley just adores her.



It rained most of the weekend. I loved it! And I love all their little cottages and gardens too!!!



Three sisters: my aunts Coleen and Gail with my mom!



Cora and her friend Maxine sang for us!



Then we went to the Mall of America! It is just so much fun!











All the girls!



We went for a drive through my aunt and uncle's neighborhood....I love all these older neighborhoods with vines growing up the walls and cute little lawns and gardens. I took lots of pictures so I could show Ryan exactly what kind of home I want someday! He and I have the same tastes, so I knew he would agree!







Fun with sidewalk chalk!













Back at the mall: Lego Land! Since this visit, Ryley has a revitalized interest in legos!







It was a great trip. Though I've been up to their house before, this time we were able to see them with their friends and really witness this happy life they've carved for themselves. I want that for Ryley. I want to live in an established neighborhood where Ryley can safely walk one block to her best friend's house, where they just play the guitar and sing all the time. I want to have a sense of community. I want to have block parties. Those types of things are lacking from our current living situation. People on our street are just struggling to get through life; nobody has the "time" or "energy" to think beyond their own property. But I don't want it to be that way. I want to be warmer than I am. The weekend was very introspective for me, as I realized what I really want for our family.

I am also so proud of Cora (graduating with multiple honors!). Not many kids in Denver are as driven and education-minded as Cora and her friends are. Her group of friends is talented and intelligent; they've grown up together, and their parents all know one other. Ryan and I had that, too; I just don't know where to find that same thing for Ryley! I was amazed at the quality of their school music program; I am picky about that kind of thing, and it was pretty impressive. :-) I know God has Ryley in His hands and that He directs our steps. At least I now know what I kind of want her life to look like. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other fun news, Ryley learned how to ride a bike last week! She is so excited!



We miss her already. She called just a little bit ago, very tired from a fun-filled day and very tearful that she wishes her Mommy and Daddy were there! :-( It's good for all of us, and Ryan and I both have a lot going on this week. But we are still going to miss our girl.

1 comment:

Chasaraben said...

Where's her helmet?!?!?! Benjamin does not want his training wheels off. He can go very fast with them on, but if you take on off or both-- he goes s-l-o-w and he makes you put them back on! Silly kid.