"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day of School (and other things)

So when I asked Ryley what she was most looking forward to about starting 2nd grade, she answered, “That you will be picking me up on time every day so I don’t have to go to after-care.” :-)

Today was her first day, and she loves it. She seems too small to be entering 2nd grade, though.

DSCF2081

Here she is posing in front of her desk last week at Back to School Night. She is so excited to have her very own desk for the first time!!

photo[1]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other Ryley Stories of interest:

Yesterday I was baking some banana bread, and Ryley asked, “Are you using a new reesip?”

Me: “A what?”

Ryley: “A new reesip.”

And then it dawned on me. Ryley reads a ton. She sees the word “recipe” and, in her head, she pronounces it “reesip.” Of course she knows the word “recipe” when she hears it. But sometimes there is that disconnect when you are learning by hearing and learning by reading. And you’re seven. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight Ryley asked me to take her temperature because she felt hot. I took it, and it was normal. As I showed her, she suddenly got a concerned look.

“What does the F mean?”

“It stands for Fahrenheit. You’re fine,” I reassured her.

“Oh,” she answered. “I thought the F stood for fever.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My dear sweet friend Danielle is getting married this weekend, so a few of us took her out last Thursday for a wonderful little bachelorette dinner at The Cheesecake Factory downtown.

DSCF2071

I am so grateful for good friends. We have all been together since our freshman year of high school, and some of us go back to 3rd grade. Such beautiful ladies!

DSCF2069

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now, please pray for my brother Justin and sister-in-law Alyson. Her blog says it best. We are all on the roller coaster ride of our lives while waiting for God to bring my precious twin nephews Will and Jack safely into the world. It has been a very intense and anxiety-filled 11 days.

Every time the phone rings…. Let’s just say it’s a lot of deja vu for our family. Please pray for another few weeks of tummy time for the twins, as well as for supernatural peace for Aly, Justin, and the rest of us! Thank you. :-)

3 comments:

Justinand said...

I just can hardly believe she is in 2nd grade!!! How has time flown by like this?!

Always love the Ryley stories...'ressip'...too cute!!

And thanks for your prayers, and for passing us on to others to pray...the more the better. I don't like that our journey to being parents has been such a crazy, stressful, and hard journey for our whole family, but there is no one we'd rather share it with than all of you guys! We love you guys so much, and just can hardly wait for the day we're all sitting around watching Ryley, Will, and Jack playing...and hopefully more Moore babies as well! =)

Love you! Have a great week, Ryley!!

Chasaraben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chasaraben said...

Wow- her own desk! I share the love of all things "school" like your own desk, a new box of crayons and that "first day" lunch!
CONGRATS Aunty, Uncle and cousin!!
(sorry about the delete- sooo many misspells cause I'm tired- bad teacher)