"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Odds and Ends

Tuesday nights are becoming my night to blog, I guess. Ryan usually works late, and it’s a good time to have some Joy-time. It’s funny, though, that even with all the writing I’ve done this week for my freelance project, I still have trouble getting a blog post started. :-)

My project was a lot of fun, and I can’t wait for the next one. I think it stretched me and made me a better writer. I am still waiting for feedback on my story– a 7,100-word ghost-written autobiographical story about a young girl’s struggle with anorexia and suicide. Other than my senior paper in college, it was by far the longest thing I’ve ever written. It took a lot out of me, but it was so satisfying!

Even the subject matter, though depressing, made it such an interesting challenge. I literally looked forward to working on it every evening. Writing begets writing. I guess I hadn’t realized how much fun work can be when you’re doing what you’re called to do. I also hadn’t known how much I really like writing more than editing. Editing can be so tedious, whereas, with writing, I was given a blank canvas and the license to weave words together to create and bring a story to life where there was none before...to create new thoughts that now, through the miracle of words, can be shared.  I love it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’ve been impatient with people this last week, specifically ones who create drama in their daily lives and then impose it upon me. I really don’t like drama.

I honestly think that some people sit at home in the mornings and think, “What will be my shtick today? Should it be my ex-boyfriend? My sick cat? My friend’s job problems? What human interest story can I develop that will revolve around me?”

Ryan and I both have these issues with people at work, and we often text each other throughout the day, comparing our employee problems.

“I’ll one up ya,” Ryan wrote. “K just called off work for her shift. Because of hives.”

I think that overall I am a pretty merciful, loving person. But I’ll tell you what: You push me too hard and too far with your drama, and the cold-hearted, merciless German comes out of me. And it’s not pretty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ryley has been funny this week. She’s been finger-weaving scarves as gifts for people and suddenly decided today that she will be starting her own business making and selling scarves. She will sell said scarves to her friends for one cent each.

“Ryley, I really think you should charge more,” I suggested. It will cost you several dollars to just buy more materials. Maybe you should charge a dollar.”

“No, Mommy. It’s my business. People won’t spend a dollar on a scarf. Cents sound better.”

She has her first order to fill tonight, and she’s making this one for free because her friend does not have even one cent! So funny. It reminds me when my friends Christie, Katie, Kendra, and I had competing stationery, name plate, and perfume businesses which we officed out of our 4th grade lockers. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ryley reads a lot of classics and old-fashioned books, therefore, she uses the word “queer” in everyday conversation. It cracks us up every time.

“How queer!”

“Mom, don’t you think it’s queer that….?”

Etc., etc., etc.

And tonight she used “eh” at the end of a question. Yes, like a Canadian. I’m not sure where she even got that!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The other night, Ryley was beginning her homework downstairs when she realized she had forgotten both her paper and pen upstairs. She made a comment about going upstairs to get the paper, and I suggested she remember to get the pen too. Because sometimes we have trouble multi-tasking. :-)

“Get the pen while you’re at it. That way you can kill two birds with one stone.”

Ryley looked at me and shrugged: “Or a gun.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wellness Update…

I just keep thinking, why didn’t I do this sooner? With every outfit that fits better, every restaurant booth I slide into easier, etc., my life improves. I have a list of things to do when I’m skinnier (ride a rollercoaster, jump on Ryley’s trampoline, etc.), and I’m not brave enough to share all those things just yet. My weight has crippled me in a lot of ways, and I’m gradually feeling less-handicapped.

After years and years of gaining, it’s strange to do subtraction on the scale instead of adding. I am down 25 pounds in just over 8 weeks. I have a long way to go though! And with the holidays approaching, it’s going to be extra difficult! :-)

Ryan has lost 10 pounds without even trying…just by eating the meals I’ve provided for dinner, but not drastically cutting out the extra things that I have. So that’s good too!

I don’t know if it’s related to eating differently or not, but I’ve found myself stuttering more, spelling things wrong, and generally lacking focus at work. I don’t handle stress as well, and I get defensive and angry very easily. I also get sleepy early in the evening. I’m sure everything will even out eventually, but it has been weird to notice those changes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bonus pic of Ryley:

038

There are so many things wrong with this picture!!! Namely, the little boy who is patiently waiting for the big girl to get off the 1-cent pony. Ha ha! Then, the side-saddle cracks me up too. Also, she’s very serious. Just typical Ryley. ;-)

No comments: