"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Monday, August 10, 2009

Ryley Stories, Back By Popular Demand

I have been told that "Ryley Stories" are the highlight of my blog and that they need to become more frequent. Apparently, my own chatter is not nearly as interesting as that of my little girl!

We love our daughter deeply and (of course) think she's clever, smart, and the most beautiful thing God has ever created. But truthfully, there are stretches of time when she says nothing of real significance (or nothing at least that anybody other than Ryan and I would care about). Or maybe she says things when I'm not in a blogging mode, so they fall along the wayside.

Either way, the faithful fans of "Ryley Stories" are hitting the jackpot tonight.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ryley has so many questions about life, and the wheels are always turning in her mind. She has become even more fervent in her prayers for both us and her Auntie Aly to "get babies in our tummies," and she is completely mystified by the miracle of it, as she should be.

So earlier today, she randomly and thoughtfully said, "Girls are the start of life."

"What?" I asked, not sure I was understanding her musings.

"Ladies -- not men -- are the only ones who have babies in their tummies. So they start people's lives."

"It's pretty special to be a girl, isn't it?" I asked her. "I feel special that I was a part of starting your life."

"Yes," she answered. "Only older, married girls are special enough to have babies and start lives."

Glad she got the married part in there! ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


And this evening, at bedtime, we were reading "Caps for Sale," a very old book that is on Ryley's recommended summer reading list. We got to the end, and as usual, there were a couple of blank pages between the last page of the story and the author's bio on the inside book jacket. I clasped the book shut and announced it was time for pajamas, but Ryley grabbed it back.

"Wait a minute," she said. "That lady..." (she points to the picture of the author) "...is lazy. She left these pages blank. On those pages, she could have drawn pictures of all the man's customers!!!!"

5 comments:

Beth said...

what a wonderful child! =D

if Ryley has any room in her tummy prayers, tell her i would love to be special too. =D even though she has no idea who i am.

Tyson and Lisa said...

what a sweet little girl! I can hardly believe how grown up she is! and I LOVE her perspective on life.

Justinand said...

I love Ryley stories!!! Thanks for sharing these, and I love that she prays for there to be babies in our tummies. Miss you guys!!

shari said...

Ryley is so insightful! I love reading her stories! Thanks for posting them.

Anonymous said...

If you are expectant along with your initial kid, be sure you make plenty of time on your own plus your lover. Your daily life will almost certainly transform a good deal right after the infant is born and it will be a long time before you could acquire some on your own time. So be sure to set some by yourself time on your schedule just before the infant arrives. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Ertrg4w7878[/url]