"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Breathing

Life is settling in now. Work is slowing down somewhat. Our household has established a mid-winter routine in which the house has remained clean for almost two weeks. We practice spelling words. Mail gets read and filed on a daily basis. We find time for recreational reading.

A welcome lull in a sure-to-become-busy-again life.

Now that I have time to think my own thoughts again, I have been happy and relieved to discover that my muse has returned. I built a fire in the fireplace tonight, and as I arranged the logs and watched the flames lap them hungrily, my thoughts wandered to pioneer women tending to their wood stoves...I wondered if they, too, found joy and fascination in watching the movement of fire. How sad is it that I have been so consumed and preoccupied with work for the last seven months that I haven't really thought? How sad is it that when I flip through a file on my desk, I am relieved to discover notes/documentation in my handwriting of conversations I had that I cannot now remember? I have come to put a lot of trust into detailed notes I left myself months ago.

Even so, the depth and capabilities of the human brain continue to amaze me. When I thought my mind could not take any more stretching -- when I thought I was beyond the capability of learning anything new -- I did. When I didn't think I could multi-task anything else, the Lord organized my thoughts and ordered my steps. That is my prayer every day now...that God will continue to bring order to my mind. And He always does. It's just cluttered chaos without His help.

I have come up to breathe. At last.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ryley is growing up. It's hard to believe she is in the second half of 1st grade. She finished her first "chapter book" tonight, snuggled up next to me on the sofa in her puppy pajamas.

As parents, we are facing issues we're unprepared for...like bullying. We don't want to be the parents who blindly believe their child is always in the right. On the contrary, we know Ryley has many faults. But she also has a good heart, and we just don't think she has it in her to instigate hatred. We pray that God gives us perception and wisdom as we deal with her and her little friends. I don't remember the cattiness starting this young....

All I know is that it is becoming more and more apparent to her (and to us) when there is a lack of Jesus in a person's life. It's not so much that we can tell when Christ is present; but we have become painfully aware of His absence in their lives. I don't understand why, but the void is easier to determine.

I spent 10 minutes the other day speaking encouragement and God's Word into Ryley's non-Christian friend who had been grumpy all evening and was saying how ugly she was. A six-year-old who thinks she's ugly? If that's how she feels about herself, no wonder she has relationship problems at school. The bullying suddenly becomes the least of the concerns. And I don't care what her parents think; when she is with us, she is going to hear what God thinks about her...that He created her and that she is beautiful. And even moreso, I desire for Ryley to be built up in the Spirit....to have on her whole armor of God -- to be a light in the darkness. When her friend said those things, Ryley spoke up so boldly and said, "You are so smart and funny and pretty. That's why I like you!" I had never been so proud of her. Ryley's words to her friend probably did way more than mine did.

The other day, Ryley and I were talking about our upcoming trip to Mexico (more on that another time!), and she said, "Mexico is going to be the best day of my life...better than DisneyWorld! The best day of my life. Except... Except when Jesus comes down and we all rise up to meet Him. That will be the BEST day of my life."

Have I told you how much I love my little girl? :-)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So here are some pictures from the last few weeks.

Ryley had gotten a new dresser for her birthday last July. Then Santa brought her a matching desk. So, a few weeks ago, when we found out that her bedroom set is being discontinued, we simply had to get the last piece....the canopy bed!



I made the canopy out of six yards of tulle, for $6. It was created on a whim, and Ryan and I were so proud of ourselves for our thriftiness!!




Then, as life slowed down, I made good on a promise to let Ryley use her cookbooks to prepare a complete meal for us. She was such a big girl, and she was so proud of herself. Ryan took her shopping for ingredients, and I served as the ever-helpful sous chef. :-)



She made sparkling princess punch...





Homemade applesauce...



And spaghetti.





The pictures don't make it look as appetizing as it really was. It all turned out very delicious. :-)



There are many more recipes in both cookbooks, so something tells me that this is not the last we will hear from Chef Ryley. :-)

Good night!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Joy, I love reading your blogs! I always feel less lonely and less disconnected when I read them. It is so nice to see other parents who sometimes struggle, who's kids aren't perfect but are very loved, and who want to see God move through them and their families. It has been such a joy and honor to get these glimpses into your heart. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.