"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Monday, February 15, 2010

Ryley Stories

1. This week, I am traveling "on business," you might say. I am en route to Jacksonville, Florida, to attend an insurance conference with my boss Joel and my co-workers Leahh and Anna. I've been looking forward to the trip because it is a break in the regular routine, and it is a "doable" 58 hours away from Ryan and Ryley.

Then today.... Ryley woke up at 5 a.m., crying that she didn't want me to go. It broke my heart. But by 8 a.m., she was chipper and brave again, and she helped me pack my bag, all the while talking my ear off about all the wonderful things I will see when I am flying. And when I dropped her off at her friend's house, she turned to me with those big, green eyes, forced a wobbly smile, and said, "Mommy?"

"What, sweetie?"

"See you on Thursday!"

It was her way of saying, "I'm fine. You can go." I loved her for it. I walked away, and I was the one with tears in my eyes.


2. Yesterday, I was attempting to clean Ryley's room. I often do this when she is otherwise occupied because, frankly, she slows the process down. So I am cleaning, and she walks in. She looks around, finds what she came for, and starts to walk out.

"Ryley," I said, "what are you up to?"

"Not making a mess," she answered. :-)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Beth said...

She's such a sweetie!

I hope you're having a great time and do some relaxing while you're on your trip!

Dawn said...

we had a lovely time playing! She loved playing Wii mini golf and bowling. Thank you so much for thinking of us when you needed help, we all loved it!