"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ryley Stories

1. Ryley has been learning about the American Revolution at school. She loves to impress us with phrases we literally haven't heard in years: "No taxation without representation!" and "The British are coming!" She also feels particular attachment to Betsy Ross and Paul Revere.

So she and Ryan were discussing the Boston Tea Party, and Ryan was pointing out that Canada never had a "revolution" against Britain - that they are still under the Queen to some extent and still pay taxes to the United Kingdom.

Ryley's take on it: "They must really love tea. They paid the taxes - because it's worth it!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. On Sunday afternoon, all I wanted was a good nap on the couch. I love falling asleep to golf...there's something incredibly relaxing about the quiet voices of the announcers. So I got myself all set up with golf on TV, my comfiest blanket, the cordless phone, my iPhone, etc. Then I gave Ryley a head's up that I was planning to take a nap. She was thoughtful for a moment and said:

"After you fall asleep to golf, do you think you could wake up and change the channel for me?"

Needless to say, I changed the channel right then and fell asleep, instead, to Disney Channel's Phineas and Ferb. But I had a sweet girl cuddled with me under the blankets, so I'm not complaining!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. We have nicknamed the heck out of our puppy Juliet. We call her Jules, Ju, JuJu, JuJu Bean, etc.

So tonight, when Ryley and I got home, I called out, "Ryley, will you help me get Ju outside?"

Ryley responded, "Mommy, please don't call her Jew. She's not a Jew; she's a Christian!"

2 comments:

Klovato said...

Love Ryley stories! They make me smile!

Sarah Bessey said...

You tell Ryley she's right on. We do love our tea!