"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far from the Tree

So a few months back, I spent an entire weekend in tears because I suddenly realized that Ryley is just like me. I had recognized certain behavior in her that I haven't ever seen anywhere except within myself, and it scared the crap out of me. Not that there's anything wrong with me....I just think that as a parent you always hope that your children won't perpetuate your mistakes and have to overcome the same obstacles that you did. You want them to learn their lessons early and easily. You want them to be free.

I don't know why I'm telling you this except for the fact that this past weekend I realized that my daughter never had a chance at a life where grammar rules don't matter. With parents (and even grandparents) who are anal about proper language usage, Ryley was always doomed to be a grammar nerd.

Ryley and her best friend were cooking out of her kids' cookbook on Sunday afternoon.

"I don't know where the strawberries is," said her friend.

"Are," said Ryley.







~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a nice holiday weekend. I have long thought that every weekend should be three days long...one day to just sit and stare into space, one day to have fun, and one day to get stuff done. And that's exactly how our weekend played out.

With my three "jobs," I feel like I am constantly on-the-go throughout the week, so I always feel guilty if I am just sitting doing nothing. Am I alone in that? Very rarely do I actually take time to read, watch TV or movies, or just have Joy-time. There is always something needing to be done. Anyway, Ryan worked all weekend, so Ryley and I had girl-time and cleaned the house.

On Sunday, the 4th, Ryley wore her gorgeous Independence Day dress, another beautiful creation from Aunt Coleen. Even baby Sarah was given the chance to match her "mommy's" outfit! So cute!!





I took Ryley and her friend down to the Cherry Creek Arts Festival, which was really a lot of fun since they had all kinds of craft activities for kids. I love this picture of the girls walking together and talking on our way to the festival.





Then, in the evening, we picked up the friend's grandma and went to find a spot to watch the city's fireworks in the middle of the pouring rain. It was a 4th of July unlike any I've ever had. I don't really know this lady that well, but both of us were on our own with our girls that night, so we decided to spend it together! It was actually really fun.

The girls cuddled under blankets in the van and watched the fireworks with the door open. They were mesmerized!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This parenting thing isn't easy sometimes. Ryley has had such a temper recently, especially when she doesn't get her way. I've personally never had a problem with my temper, so it must come from Ryan. Ha ha! Anyhow, it has been a real struggle in the past couple of weeks, and the meltdowns almost always happen in a public place where we end up being embarrassed. We've been dealing with it, but it's been a constant battle -- pretty much ever since Ryley asked Jesus to live in her heart. Her decision to follow Christ made the devil mad, and he's trying his hardest to get her back! Well, he can't have her. Greater is He who is in Ryley than he that is in the world, right?

So the most encouraging thing happened. At Ryley's new daycare, one of the teachers asked me this week where we go to church.

I told her where we go, and she said, "Oh, ok, I've asked Ryley several times, and she's told me, but I just can't think of where that is..."

So I gave her the crossroads, and she said, "Oh, I know where it's at. Hmmm. How long have you been there?"

I was starting to wonder where the conversation was going. What in the world had Ryley done or said???

"About six years," I answered.

"Well, you know, I've noticed this about Ryley since the first day she came here. There's something about her...some of the things that she has said...I can tell that she's been, um...'taught well.' She really knows the Word."

"Really?" I asked. "That is encouraging to hear because sometimes I wonder what's coming out of her..."

"No," the teacher answered. "She knows the Word. She's getting it. And I know that as a parent you need to hear that."

That was just what we needed...a little bit of encouragement that God's Word does not return void -- that it's sinking into her little spirit more than we think it is!!! Praise the Lord for a good church and a great foundation!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here is our pic of the week. Ryley came down the stairs dressed like a cowgirl and saying, "Somebody poisioned the water hole!"



We weren't sure if her interest and fascination in the Old West is due to her recent exposure to the Oregon Trail game, or to Woody on the movie Toy Story 3, or to Little House on the Prairie. Maybe a combination of all of the above?? :-) Like I said, she's not far from the tree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow my old college roommate Gretchen arrives for the weekend. She is attending the wedding of one of her friends, but we will get to see her off and on through Sunday. I am just so excited to see her!

So the house is (mostly) clean, and work comes early, so we're off to bed. Good night!

1 comment:

Chasaraben said...

My mom says that all the time while she looks between Rachel and I at a rapid rate. I simply respond, "Yes oak tree." I know an oak tree doesn't produce an apple tree, but it's the idea of it. Maybe I should say. "Yes orchard".