"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Sunday, July 31, 2011

Treasure Hunting

The birthday party was a huge success yesterday! Ryley and her friends loved it.

I have to say that one of my favorite parts of the whole thing was planning the treasure hunt with Ryan. We stayed up late Friday night writing clues and devising a plan to actually bury a treasure chest in our yard, an idea which didn’t pan out in daylight (but Ryan’s last-minute improvisation was amazing). I just love being married to my best friend.

I won’t bore you with a complete play-by-play, but here are some images from the hunt. The first clue was found in the fridge.

013

Thinking hard and discussing solutions:

025

124

019

The hunt took them off the premises:

126

035

And back:

043

We took a little snack break after Clue #9:

051

Then they continued the search with a key hidden in a book on our bookshelves. Ryan used a knife to carve it in and everything. Don’t worry; the book is stupid. :-)

060

Then they had to assemble the puzzle with all the pieces they had collected along the way:

068

122

X marks the spot:

113

Only the ground was too rocky to dig a hole and bury the treasure in the allotted time we had before the party. So Ryan added one more clue…

074

…leading them to the crawlspace:

Cries of “Jackpot!” “Woohoo!”

005

006

They were given bags to fill with loot:

078

085

Amirah is a ham!!!

086

We followed the treasure hunt with cupcakes, presents, and trampoline:

090

094

Cheers !

095

101

105  111

Ryley said it was her best birthday party yet, and we tend to agree.

But next year, let’s do something that requires less work! ;-)

2 comments:

gwag wagner said...

So fun! I'm reading it thinking, how can I incorporate a treasure hunt for my birthday??

Justinand said...

Oh my word...you guys are AMAZING!! love the treasure hunt, and I'm so glad Ryley had a great party! I would like to reserve the treasure hunt planning skills of the Moores in say, 7 years or so, for a certain set of twin boys!! :-)