"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Tuesday, January 17, 2012

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things…

I’m trying to capitalize more on the moments when I’m in a writing mood, even if there’s nothing really to say. :-)

So here are the things I’m into right now…

What I’m Reading: I absolutely love Catherine Newman’s blog. Her and my politics and religious beliefs differ completely, but she is one of the most amazing writers I have ever read. I have been reading her stuff for nine years; I discovered her on the BabyCenter web site before Ryley was born, and I have followed her from site to site ever since. Her blog is seriously my guilty pleasure. Occasionally I will try one of the recipes she posts, and rarely does she disappoint!

I also finished the book State of Wonder right before Christmas, racking up so many fines with the library that they sent me a $4o bill for the book. I had waited six months on the waiting list for it, though, so I wasn’t about to return it without finishing it. It was so good, but you know how it is to find time to read during the holidays. It was worth it though, and when I arrived at the library with the physical book in my hand, they reduced the fine to $8. It was different than anything I had ever read before, and I highly recommend it!

 

What I’m Watching: We have really gotten into the show “New Girl” on Fox, mostly because Jess (played by Zooey Deschanel) reminds me a little of myself, always clueless and saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, and Nick reminds me of Ryan… “reluctant” and “stubborn” on the exterior, but a teddy bear deep down. :-) Very cute, happy show!

I also like “Up All Night.”  The characters and situations are pretty believable and funny all at the same time. Good writing!

Next up, I really want to try “Downton Abbey,” which I hear you can access through Netflix. I’m just waiting until I have some time to really focus on it!

 

What I’m Listening To: “The Best Day” by Taylor Swift. I cried the first time I heard it. It reminds me of my relationship with my own mommy and daddy, as well as what I want my relationship with Ryley to be. I love this line in particular, as she sings to her mom: “You were on my side, even when I was wrong.” That’s resonated a lot with me lately, as we’ve had some situations at school where we feel like we need to come to our daughter’s defense…because she’s only eight. But that’s another subject.

Ryan created a “Florence + the Machine” station on Pandora, and I love pretty much any song that pops up on it!

As far as Christian music, I really like JJ Heller’s new album “Deeper.”  I tend to gravitate towards folksy stuff.

 

What I’m Eating:  I came across a chicken avocado salad recipe on Pinterest, so I made it over the weekend, and it was muy delicioso. It was also cheap, quick, and easy.

Here’s what you do: Buy a rotisserie chicken, two avocados, two green onions, a bunch of cilantro, and some lime juice. Shred the chicken breasts and let it cool in a bowl while you cut up all the veggies/herbs. Mix everything together with a dash of mayo and some salt and pepper. Just add and mix ingredients until it tastes the way you like it.

You could eat it alone, but I just used it as a dip for my tortilla chips, which was wonderful! Now that it’s all gone, I want to make more!!!!

 

So….what are YOU into? :-) I’d love to try new things! Recommendations…?

2 comments:

Cheryl Lee Davis said...

Joy! Love your blog..and your recipe above. Thanks for sharing some of your favorites! cheryl

RRH said...

You will LOVE Downton Abbey. I have watched the first season twice through Netflix. Now I'm watching the second season on Sunday nights on PBS.