"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Some Ryley Stories (Just for Fun)

Ryley and Ryan are watching Star Wars Episode II tonight. Ryley’s questions are incessant, but Ryan’s patience is endless. They’re actually pretty adorable, sitting there  together on the couch, while Juliet snuggles in close so Ryley will rub her tummy.

“How do you get the force?” she asks.

“You just have it. You’re born with it,” he answers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These stories are actually pretty inconsequential, but in light of the fact that this is our family journal, I am recording them because they’re things I don’t want to forget. :-)

Last week, in the car, Ryley was trying to read something aloud to me. After a few minutes, I felt my mind wandering. But by this point, I had missed so much of the story that I realized it was too late.

“Mom, are you bored listening to this?” she asked, interrupting her story.

I felt bad. I was afraid she had picked up on my frustration.

“Well, not bored exactly, but can I be completely honest? I have never been good at listening to people read aloud. My mind wanders.”

Ryley sucked in her breath in excitement. “Me too!! I’m the same way! So you don’t mind if I stop reading aloud?”

“No. Just read to yourself, if you want.”

“Oh, good! ’Cause I hate reading aloud! I read so much faster on my own! But it is a good story, and I would like you to read it sometime.”

And suddenly there’s an explanation for why, when I tried reading Little Women aloud and Little House and even Anne of Green Gables, I lost interest after a few chapters and Ryley started sneaking the book behind my back to read on her own. :-) Reading aloud doesn’t work too well for us, and we’re agreed on that, to both of our relief.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Ryan’s first day at his new restaurant, we were getting ready for work and school in the morning, and Ryan admitted to Ryley that he was feeling a little nervous.

“Why are you nervous?” she wondered.

“Well, there are a lot of reasons. I’m going to meet all my employees today, for one.”

“But, Daddy, don’t you think your new employees are nervous to meet you, too, since you’re their new boss?”

Ryan laughed. The thought actually made him feel better.

“I hadn’t thought of that,” he answered. “I suppose they probably are.”

:-)

No comments: