"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Sunday, May 1, 2011

Learning “Ryley-speak” and Loving My Job

So it’s taken me seven and a half years, but I am finally realizing that everything is easier when I speak Ryley’s language. Yes, her very own. “Ryley-speak.”

IMG_0925

Scenario #1

Me: “I could really use your help today getting the house clean. Do you think you could help me?”

Ryley: “Yes, just give me one second….”

She comes downstairs wearing a blindfold around her eyes. She is now Blind Ryley (pictured in previous post).

Me: “Oh, I don’t know if being blind is the best way today. It’s hard to help clean the house when you can’t see. Maybe you can be deaf? Or maybe you can’t use one of your legs?”

Ryley: “Deaf!” (And she runs off to find more scarves to block off her ears and mouth.)

As I look at the finished product, I’m realizing it’s going to be hard to communicate with my little “helper.”

Me: “Maybe we shouldn’t do deaf after all. What else could we do instead?”

Scenario #2

Me: “Ryley, will you please take all these shoes upstairs and put them in your room?”

Ryley: “Yes, let me just put all the shoes in a fairy bubble first to keep them all together.” (She waves her hand over them and around in a circle). “And let me just sprinkle some pixie dust on top…”

Me: “Oops, we lost one. Put this one in your bubble too….”

Later….

Ryley: “Oh no! My fairy wing broke when I was coming down the stairs!”

Me: “Oh you’re kidding! Will it be ok?”

Ryley: “Are you making fun of me? Because your voice sounded like you didn’t really mean it.”

:-)

Everything has to be a game. Sometimes she wears a bonnet and carries a basket. Whatever the notion is for the day, I’m learning that if I want her to buy in to whatever the task is, it’s best (and more pleasant in the long run) to play along. We can’t do anything normally, you know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ryley performed “Fur Elise” in her school’s talent show this week, and we were so proud of her!

IMG_0896

074

There were two performances, and other than having “ants in her pants” (her words), she is really quite fearless. I personally hate performing!!! She said she prefers playing the piano to singing because she doesn’t have to look at all the people. :-)

079

Her daddy brought her a bouquet of roses! He gets so nervous on her behalf; it’s really sweet. He loves his little girl and thinks God gave him a performer for a daughter on purpose! Ha!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monkey Ryley!

I’m not sure what kind of mother this makes me that I let her do this!  She just shimmied right up! I guess she’s been doing this all along, and this is the first I’ve seen it.

045

(notice our mistletoe that’s been up there since 2009….we just see no reason to take it down!)

047

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote of the week (as we were watching the Royal Wedding):

“Do you think anybody in the world watching this just fainted, because it’s so romantic??”

Oh, she ate up every single second.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And Michael Scott stole my thunder on Thursday night when he said something along the lines of, “When you get down to it, your best friends are really the people you work with.”

I had just been thinking about that all week long…that I spend more time with my co-workers than I do with any of my real best friends. And as time has gone on, we’ve developed our own little inside jokes – our own little All in One “culture.”

You’ll never believe this, but we speak “gangsta” to each other, quote Office Space and Anchorman all day, sing along to AutoTune pop culture videos,  text each other phrases like “Honey Badger Don’t Care,” and generally nerd out around one another. It’s a fun group, and it makes our work environment more enjoyable.

We get all our work done, too, lest you be concerned. :-)

I mean, think about it. We have roughly seven hours together each day, so there’s plenty of time to squeeze in a little humor here and there. I’m hoping our joyful atmosphere can hang in there, even when it starts getting busier again this month!!!

So when we got to create and host a booth at a tradeshow this week, we had a blast. It was hard work, but it was rewarding too.

023 

004

010

032

That’s Leahh. Luke is sitting, and Joel is talking to a potential customer.

035

We’re hoping we can do more events like this, maybe even the Colorado Home and Garden Show!

We all work well together, and we all live by the same quotable mantra hanging above my office door, courtesy of the movie Office Space:

019

I’m grateful for a good job right now. I’m grateful to be working with pleasant, fun-loving people at the moment. I’m grateful for the fact that I finally feel productive, appreciated, and proud of my work, even though it’s not in an industry I ever imagined.

Not only is it good for the company, it’s good for Joy. :-)

Stay classy, San Diego.

1 comment:

JPS said...

I am sure she just ate up the Royal Wedding. I love TiVo because Alyson could skip right through most of it. :)