"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Thursday, May 3, 2012

Land of the Mighty Cornhuskers

This past weekend, we took a little trip up to Scottsbluff, Nebraska, to visit my grandma, “Honey.” We had such a wonderful time, though the trip did go extremely quickly! I wish we could have stayed much longer.

Honey certainly kept us busy!

Ryan had never been to the Riverside Zoo, though Ryley and I have been twice before. So that was our first stop:

055

013

029

I would just like to go on record as saying that Honey and I stayed true to form and did NOT touch or feed any animals while we were there.

036 041 044  079

088

It was slightly chilly, so we pretty much had the whole zoo to ourselves!

Then we ate lunch at my favorite Scottsbluff restaurant, Taco Town. They’re the “tac-0 the town.” Seriously. My family has eaten there every time we’ve visited Scottsbluff since before I was born, I think. Yum!

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/5172/taco-town

Then, after lunch, Honey took us to the North Platte Valley Museum. Scottsbluff/Gering is right on the Oregon Trail, so there are a lot of interesting pioneer artifacts:

098

097

We had fun seeing all the weaving looms and ice boxes, etc., from the past. Honey shared lots of stories from her childhood.

100 

The museum had a big display of Girl Scout history, so we browsed through that. Very interesting! Here, Ryley tries out Morse Code:

115

Any Brownies out there from 1985? This is a replica of my Brownie uniform:

106

And my Brownie book:

112

Funny how the brain works….I haven’t seen this book in 26 years, yet the moment I saw it, it all came rushing back to me. :-)

141

The museum was a great experience! Thanks for taking us there, Honey!!!

Then, because Ryan had never been to the top of Scottsbluff Monument (an Oregon Trail landmark), we drove up there, too:

142

144

160

Playing with fire:

166

You can’t really see it very well, but 30 miles behind my head is Chimney Rock and the town of Bayard, where Grandpa and Honey farmed and ranched for more than 50 years. Honey still owns the land. We used to spend our summer vacations there, picking sweet corn with Grandpa and helping him shuck it, helping Honey in her garden, learning to sew, riding 4-wheelers around the hills, and swimming in ditch banks alongside the cows. Lots of good memories. :-)

180

Then, crazy kids that we are, we hiked down the monument, while Honey drove to the bottom to pick us up. It took us about 45 minutes.

198

189

203

207

I fell behind a lot. :-)

211

Amber waves of beautiful Nebraska:

219

We had dinner with my aunt and uncle and attended church with Honey on Sunday morning before heading back to Denver. It was just a really nice , peaceful, fun couple of days.

Thank you, Honey, for letting us come up and crash your weekend! You wore us out in the very best way! We love you! :-)

1 comment:

Melanie said...

"Honey and I stayed true to form and did NOT touch or feed any animals while we were there." -- Just. Like. ME!!! :-) That's always my plan around animals.