"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Still, Small Voice

This past Sunday, Ryley’s Brownie troop organized a pond clean-up day as part of their unit on water conservation.

I have to be completely honest here. I had been dreading it for weeks!  Pond clean-up’s just not my style.

Lucky Ryan had to work on Sunday and got to miss out on all the “fun”!

023

027

035

It was a pretty disgusting and smelly job! But it was good for the girls in many ways, and we ended up filling nine garbage bags with trash.

So anyway, as we were finishing up and preparing to leave after two hot, sweaty hours of combing the banks of the pond and canal area, one of the dads (an older gentleman who’s actually an adoptive father) said, “Come on, Alyssa, we need to retrace our steps. I’ve lost my cell phone.” 

Poor guy! For a split second, the thought occurred to me that I should help them look for it. He’s elderly, after all, and how sad is it that he spent his afternoon out here helping his little girl’s Girl Scout troop, and he loses his phone!?  But Ryley and Amirah had already run off to the playground, and another parent wanted to talk to me right then, so I got distracted. Then I forgot about it and went to wait in the air-conditioned van, within sight of the girls on the playground.

After a few minutes of relaxing, I remembered and wondered if Bob had ever found his phone. I kept feeling in my heart that I should have helped (and still could), but I tried to talk myself out of it. What are the chances of them finding it? It’s a lost cause. I couldn’t see them (the park is quite large), so I didn’t even know if they were still out there.  I even called his wife to see if she had heard from him, but I didn’t get an answer. Then I called their home number. I know! I was going to great lengths to make sure I didn’t have to go help! How horrible of me!

Then, I spotted them….two heads way in the distance, disappearing and reappearing as they searched in a marshy area about half a mile away. And a storm was rolling in.

Darn it.

I got out of the van. I would be going too far to leave the girls alone on the playground, so I rounded them up and together we headed toward Bob and Alyssa. They were on the other side of the pond from us, so when we were close enough I yelled to Bob and asked if he’d found his phone. Obviously, he hadn’t, but it only made sense to ask first. :-)

“How about if I call it for you?” I called out.

“Probably won’t do any good!” he yelled back.

“What’s your number?”

So he called out his number, and I dialed.

“I hear it!” he yelled, within a few seconds. It was probably only 10 feet from him, in a marshy area he had already searched through.

Bob held up the phone, and all three girls cheered, from different sides of the pond. It was one of those moments.

Wow, God, thank you.

I was utterly amazed that the Holy Spirit had spoken so strongly to me right at the moment that would lead me to Bob at the same moment they were near the phone. And what if I had ignored the prompting?? God cares about these small things in our lives, and in the lives of others around us. We just have to listen to that still, small voice...and obey it. Even if it’s not convenient. Even when we don’t want to. :-)

It was really impactful for me. I think I got more out of that situation than Bob did!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’ve specifically been praying for wisdom at work….The things that go wrong for our company are so bizarre it’s almost comical! So I’ve been asking God for an extra measure of wisdom every day. It’s been interesting how I see it paying off…

Last Friday was supposed to be pretty cut and dry. My boss was having knee surgery that morning, so we didn’t have a lot going on. I had a clear-cut list of things that had to get done, but nothing I couldn’t handle. Plus, it’s Friday, and Fridays are always fun!

Haha. Fun indeed.

I arrived at the office at 8:15, and by 8:20, I had an office full of angry Mexican men, wondering how they were going to get paid now that “Jaime” is in jail.

“Wait…Jaime’s in jail?”

Now you have to understand that while “going to jail” is nothing out of the ordinary for the vast majority of my co-workers , whenever it happens, it is a pain. A huge pain.

I know. You’re thinking, wow, she’s really lackadaisical about the fact that her co-workers end up in jail a lot. Well, it is what it is. This is my life right now. If a co-worker is suddenly hard to reach, my go-to assumption is that they’re in jail. And sometimes I’m right. It doesn’t change how I feel about them. Jaime is my friend.

So, I called Jaime’s phone. And this stranger answered. This stranger who spoke perfect American English and who said he was on the way to the office to meet with me.

Ok….?

This tall, good-looking, Hispanic guy waltzes in (think Enrique Iglesias), says he’s Jaime’s brother Joaquin, he’s second in command, and he’s here to talk about the future of Jaime’s crews, their payroll in Jaime’s absence, and what jobs they can do for us.

Wait. I know all three of Jaime’s brothers. We’ve been close co-workers for six years, and I’ve never heard of a Joaquin. Why haven’t I met you before?

But to this guy’s credit, he seemed to know what he was talking about. And he could translate  for us, since the angry Mexican crew members were still standing there with their arms crossed, refusing to work until we figured out their pay. Plus, he was very charming.

At some point, as we were coming up with a plan for payroll, job scheduling, etc., I thought, wow, we sure are entrusting a lot into the hands of this guy we met 20 minutes ago. And I began to feel sick to my stomach.

So when he said he was going to go visit Jaime in jail and he suggested Leahh go with him, I insisted that they drive separately. Leahh needed to go on my behalf to get some questions answered for me (I didn’t have time), but I did not think it was wise that she ride with a stranger. I think everyone thought I was crazy! But I had seen the way he looked at her, and I didn’t trust it.

I also didn’t like the way he was watching me as I sorted through my safe, looking for a credit card we could use to fill the crew’s truck with gas. He was just paying very close attention to the locale of important documents.

I started turning a bit colder to the idea of jumping on board the Joaquin train in Jaime’s sudden absence. There was shadiness all over the place, and in retrospect, I know that it was the Holy Spirit speaking to me! I warned my co-workers that I wasn’t completely sold on trusting him, and I think they thought I was really overreacting. But it doesn’t matter; in my boss’s absence, I’m the one that gets to make that call, and I chose to move cautiously.

To make a long story short, Jaime miraculously got out of jail in time to come down to the office and figure out payroll for his crews, and everything ended well. But it turns out Joaquin isn’t Jaime’s brother after all AND he has a key to the office, which I told my boss yesterday. I also changed my hiding spots for all important documents, not to mention the safe. And? He asked Leahh out, then texted her over the weekend, asking her to send him a picture of herself. Exactly what I thought. Creepy, creepy.  In fact, when he called the office today, Leahh asked if I would answer the phone since she prefers to avoid him now.

I had prayed for wisdom, and in that situation, I felt like God really gave it to me. Nothing really happened per se, but I just felt that check in my spirit that we shouldn’t automatically trust everything this guys has to say.

Again, it was that still, small voice that would have been incredibly easy to miss if I hadn’t been listening for it at the right time. Another interesting opportunity for my spiritual growth.

Thank You, Holy Spirit.

He always keeps it interesting; that’s for sure. ;-)

3 comments:

Melanie said...

What a crazy story! It sounds like it could have ended differently, easily, if it hadn't been for your caution. I think your boss owes you!!

Justinand said...

Wow--I love how the HS gives us direction... if we are willing to step out and trust him! Thanks for sharing these with us!

Chasaraben said...

THANK YOU FATHER for Your wisdom and for the guiding from the Holy Spirit. Thank you Joy for having a heart tuned in!!