"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Letter to a Chronic Whiner

To whom it may concern:

You think the world revolves around you. We all have crap going on in our lives; we all have to stay up late sometimes; we all have seasons of hardship. We all feel sick from time to time. What I need you to do is to stop talking about it. I'm unfriending you from Facebook because I'm tired of realizing all of your status updates are secret messages to me, planting a seed so that you can have a built-up complaint to fall back on later. I need you to toughen up. I need you to be dependable. I need you to endure.

I wonder how annoying I was to Doris when I worked at ORU as a 22-year-old. I should get in touch with her and apologize for wasting her valuable time, talking her patient ear off with stories of people she didn't care about.

I used to have a theory that you should never admit to feeling "good," because then there's no chance you can build up an eventual excuse to leave early from work. So when did I grow up and mature? When did I stop the incessant complaining about not feeling well? When did I stop being so dang lazy? I am so sick of the whining. Do I feel awesome all the time? No. But you run the race you are given. You endure.

We leave for Mexico in 25 days. The competitive spirit in me wants to earn this trip again in the next three weeks, even though it was a blessing earned and rewarded months ago.

I want to exercise, with the goal of that swimming suit. I want to keep the house clean and the laundry done, with the goal of an easy packing experience. I want to get all 25 magazine articles edited, with the goal of nobody needing to contact me. I want to kick butt at work in every way, just because. :-)

It's a mad dash. I'm kicking it into high gear. This is my personal Olympic race, and I am Lindsay Vonn. I am Evan Lysacek. I am...Joy.

Is that melodramatic enough??

Ok. Lunch is over. Back to work. :-)

With ever so much sincerity and hopefulness for a complaint-free environment,

Joy


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

Sarah Bessey said...

Ha! Joy, you crack me up.

Joy said...

Reading this again, I realize how totally impulsive and stupid this post is. Sorry. ;-)

Gwen said...

Please don't unfriend me!! I promise I will do better. I vow to stop complaining. PLEASE don't delete me!!

PS Raegan says she misses Ryley a "whole"lot and she loves her very much!!

Joy said...

Oh, Gwen, you're not a whiner. :-) Sweet Raegan....Please give her kisses from us!!!!