"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Sunday, March 21, 2010

The "S" Word: A Ryley Story

When I was in third grade, I attended an especially secular public school. One day, my teacher, Mr. Erickson, was talking about his morning routine. He said that there was a specific "S" word that he would often say when he got up in the mornings, and he asked us to guess what it was.

"Sunshine!" I yelled out, butterflies of innocence and love fairly dancing around my blonde pigtails.

"No...not sunshine," he answered. I wonder if he had a small moment of conscience right then. Mmmm, probably not, because he went on to tell us the correct answer to his little query. "When I get up in the mornings, I usually say, "Oh, s---!"

The "S" word. The very one.

My eyes were wide in horror and shock.

And...my parents put me in Christian school the very next year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fast forward 20-some years to Ryley and me cleaning her room this weekend.

Ryley was telling me how her best friend often talks about how this is sexy, and that is sexy, etc., etc.

"Ryley, I would like for you to not talk about being sexy," I said. "She might say that, and that is between her and her mom, but I don't want you to use that word, OK?"

Ryley readily agreed. "OK, I will just call that the 'S' word," she answered.

I couldn't help but smile. "That's a good idea."

"Mom? There is another 'S' word. Did you know that?" Ryley asked.

"Yes, I do know that. Why? Do you know what it is?"

Ryley looked guilty, and I wondered where on earth she would have heard the real "S" word. That's not really the kind of vocabulary we expose her to, unless she would have heard it at school.

She nodded that she did know what it was.

"Do you want to whisper it to me?" I asked, wanting to make sure she and I were on the same page.

She did. So she crossed over and whispered in my ear...

"Stupid."

"Yes," I agreed, trying not to laugh. "That's a naughty word, and we don't ever say that, do we?"

"No," she answered, solemnly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now for a segment we will call "Ryley Narrates Her Life."



She had accidentally burned her arm on the iron yesterday while trying to reach past it to point out something on our wall map. In actuality, she is fine. We also think she is hilarious. :-)

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh do I have a story like that. Only it's not so good. The kids in our new neighborhood have quite the vocabulary. One 8 yr old has my 3 yr old repeat bad words because he thinks it's funny. Abby told me that he told Emma to say the "F word." I thought it would be something like the "S word" being "stupid." Nope. The real one. Abby couldn't even remember the word but she said, "It starts with an F and it has to do with your private parts." Quite the education, huh?

Gene Steiner said...

And we are so glad that happened that casused us to want to give you kids the best Christian education possible instead of exposing you at such an early age to all of that.

And we know Ryley is adorable. Thank God for innocence