"You can make anything by writing."

-- C. S. Lewis


Monday, March 15, 2010

Ryan

I love my husband. I really, really do.

We discovered our old love letters this weekend...the ones I wrote him from Germany, as well as the beautiful poetry he wrote me when we were engaged. In those precious writings, we glimpsed our old selves...our hopeful, dream-filled 20-year-old selves. One letter proposes the grand idea of getting ourselves a nice little flat above an ice cream parlor in Germany, and we would teach English there. Yes, my 20-year-old self used the word "flat." I kind of miss her.

What happened to those dreams? Sure, it was much more "convenient" to stay in the states...It turned out to be just as much "us" to pack up a U-Haul and move to Montana. We don't regret our decisions. In fact, we love the life we've built together. It's very happy. And it's not too late to follow the German dream, I suppose. If we still want it, that is. Just musings....

In the past few days, through the miracle of Facebook, I have been in touch with my first piano teacher, Genie Harris. It has been wonderful reconnecting with her. I took lessons from Genie for four years before moving on to take lessons from Mrs. Orrick for another five years. Where Genie taught me piano basics, chords, and worship accompaniment, Mrs. Orrick helped me perfect my "performance side" through challenging classical pieces. I love them both.

Genie wrote me and told me that Mrs. Orrick's husband had passed away.

So when Ryan got home tonight, I said, "Hey, you know how I had two piano teachers? Well, my second piano teacher's husband died."

Ryan's response: "Oh no! Not Van Orrick! That's so sad."

My love for him tripled right then. He knew, off-hand, the name of my piano teacher's husband.

"How did you know his name?" I asked, in disbelief.

"We've been married a long time," he smiled.

German flat or English cottage or Denver suburban house aside, I live with the love of my life. We are together.

And he is my best friend, for life. :-)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Justinand said...

What a man...you two are just the cutest ever! I love to hear how much you both are still in love!

Chasaraben said...

WOW! Bonus points for Ryan! I'm impressed you remembered their names- me I am lucky to remember the names of kids in my class THIS YEAR, let alone anything name related earlier in my life. (am terrible with names)